Salt has a pretty bad reputation. Everyone knows that too much salt can cause water retention, hypertension, and even heart disease.
But sodium is the most important electrolyte, and it’s responsible for regulating the water content in your body. Sodium is also necessary for muscle, brain, and nervous system function.
So, did you know that most of us are eating the wrong kind of salt?
Regular table salt is about as far from natural as you can get and your body doesn’t know what to do with it, which leads to water retention and health problems.
Natural salt, AKA pure sea salt, contains 84 trace minerals that your body needs for optimum health. In contrast, table salt is highly processed in excessive heat which strips away 82 of these minerals, leaving behind only sodium and chloride.
Nowadays, it is difficult to obtain the minerals your body needs from food because American farmlands are overworked, leading to mineral depletion in our soil. And if minerals aren’t present in the soil, they won’t be present in the food that we eat.
Therefore, the easiest way to consume these vital minerals is by eating sea salt. Sea salt is produced by the evaporation of seawater and although our land is becoming mineral depeleted, our planet’s seas are still abundant in minerals.
The two most popular forms of sea salt are Himalayan Sea Salt and Celtic Sea Salt, and both contain 84 trace minerals.
Himalayan Salt is a beautiful pink salt that is as old as the earth. Himalayan Salt dates back to the earth’s creation and is believed to be composed of dried remnants of the original, primal sea. How cool is that?! Celtic Sea Salt has a grayish-white hue and is naturally harvested in Brittany, France, near the Celtic Sea.
The 11 Benefits of Sea Salt
1. While table salt makes you retain water, sea salt does the opposite by helping your body achieve the optimum electrolyte balance, flushing out excess water.
2. Sea salt improves hydration because it contains many of the major electrolytes like sodium, magnesium, calcium, and potassium. Instead of drinking Gatorade to replenish electrolytes, I add a pinch of Himalayan Salt to my drinking water (one pinch per liter).
3. Arguably one of the biggest benefits of sea salt is that it provides your body with the vital trace minerals that it needs for optimum health.
4. Because sea salt is so rich in minerals, it boosts your immune system and enhances resistance to infection and bacterial diseases.
5. Sea salt helps allergy sufferers by breaking up mucus, reducing congestion in your lungs and nasal passages, and supporting sinus and respiratory health.
6. While table salt can cause high blood pressure, sea salt has been shown to normalize blood pressure, regulate the heartbeat, and support vascular health.
7. Sea salt eliminates harmful sodium deposits from your body and can dissolve kidney and gallbladder stones.
8. Sea salt is helpful for diabetics because it can help balance blood sugar and promotes blood sugar health.
9. Sea salt eases muscle cramps by providing essential minerals to the muscles.
10. Consuming sea salt promotes a healthy pH balance in your cells, which improves brain function. Sea salt alkalizes your body and reduces excess acidity, which is a cause of many degenerative diseases.
11. If you are taking a magnesium supplement, sea salt will help the magnesium to be more effective. Find out if you are magnesium deficient here.
How to use sea salt
Even though the benefits listed above are pretty awesome, sea salt should still be used in moderation. The recommended daily intake for sodium is 2400mg per day, or about one teaspoon.
You can use Himalayan or Celtic Sea Salt instead of regular table salt in your cooking and to flavor your food, and it tastes much better! Pure sea salt tastes “saltier” than table salt, so you generally need to use only 2/3 of the amount of salt that you would normally use.
And as I mentioned above, you can add a pinch of sea salt to your drinking water to add electrolytes and minerals for increased hydration. I add a pinch of Himalayan Salt to every liter of my drinking water. I tend to use Celtic Sea Salt in my cooking and Himalayan Sea Salt in my drinking water.
Give us a call at 972-943-8633 to book a free consultation.